Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, November 1, 2021:
Patchy fog between 8am and 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
High temperatures are forecast to remain fairly level in the lower 70s until the end of the week, when highs are expected to warm to the upper 70s-low 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1765 The Stamp Act goes into effect in the British colonies.
- 1861 Lieutenant General Winfield Scott, 50 year-veteran and leader of the U.S. Army at the onset of the Civil War, retires. General George McClellan is appointed general-in-chief of the Union armies.
- 1866 Wild woman of the west Myra Maybelle Shirley (Belle Starr) marries James C. Reed in Collins County, Texas.
- 1923 Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company buys the rights to manufacture Zeppelin dirigibles.
- 1924 Legendary Oklahoma marshal Bill Tilghman, 71, is gunned down by a drunk in Cromwell, Oklahoma.
- 1936 The Rodeo Cowboy’s Association is founded.
- 1943 American troops invade Bougainville in the Solomon Islands.
- 1945 John H. Johnson publishes the first issue of Ebony magazine.
- 1950 Two members of a Puerto Rican nationalist movement attempt to assassinate President Harry S Truman.
- 1967 The first issue of Rolling Stone hits the streets.
- 1968 The Motion Picture Association of America officially introduces its rating system to indicate age-appropriateness of film content.
- 1968 President Lyndon B. Johnson calls a halt to bombing in Vietnam, hoping this will lead to progress at the Paris peace talks.
- 1973 Leon Jaworski appointed as new Watergate Special Prosecutor.
- 1982 Honda opens a plant in Marysville, Ohio, becoming the first Asian automobile company to produce cars in the US.