With Veterans Day approaching and the veteran unemployment rate falling to 3.9% from the average of 6.5% in 2020, the personal-finance website WalletHub released its report on 2021’s Best & Worst Places for Veterans to Live (as well as accompanying videos and audio files). The report compares the 100 largest U.S. cities across 20 key metrics, ranging from the share of military skill-related jobs to housing affordability and the availability of VA health facilities.
WalletHub also released the results of its 2021 Military Money Survey, which revealed that 77% of Americans agree that military families experience more financial stress than the average family. To help with that, WalletHub’s editors selected 2021’s Best Military Credit Cards, which provide hundreds of dollars in annual savings potential. Below are highlights from the reports.
|Best Cities for Veterans||Worst Cities for Veterans|
|1. Tampa, FL||91. Philadelphia, PA|
|2. Austin, TX||92. North Las Vegas, NV|
|3. Scottsdale, AZ||93. Cleveland, OH|
|4. Raleigh, NC||94. San Bernardino, CA|
|5. Gilbert, AZ||95. Toledo, OH|
|6. Lincoln, NE||96. Jersey City, NJ|
|7. Madison, WI||97. Baltimore, MD|
|8. Virginia Beach, VA||98. Memphis, TN|
|9. Orlando, FL||99. Newark, NJ|
|10. Boise, ID||100. Detroit, MI|
To view the full report and your city’s rank, please visit:
Military Money Survey & Best Military Credit Card
- 77% of Americans agree that military families experience more financial stress than the average family.
- Nearly a third of people think military spending should decrease due to COVID-19.
- Nearly 2 in 3 people think that poor financial literacy among military personnel is a threat to national security, 7% more than in 2020.
- 76% of Americans don’t think that the military does enough to teach financial literacy.
- 76% of Americans think military members should have to pay interest on debt when deployed.
- 44% of people think that frontline healthcare workers should be paid more than members of the military and police officers.
- PenFed Power Cash Rewards is the best military credit card of 2021. It gives 2% cash back on all purchases to current and former members of the military (1.5% otherwise) and has a $100 initial bonus. There is no annual fee.
To view the full survey, please visit: https://wallethub.com/best-military-credit-cards#survey