Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, November 6, 2021:
Areas of fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 56. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain in the lower 70s until the back half of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1851 Birth of Charles Henry Dow, American financial journalist who (with Edward D. Jones) inaugurated the Dow-Jones averages.
- 1854 Birth of John Philip Sousa, “The March Master,” American bandmaster and composer. Among his 140 marches are “Stars and Stripes Forever” and “Semper Fidelis.”
- 1860 Abraham Lincoln is elected 16th president of the United States.
- 1861 Jefferson Davis is elected to a six-year term as president of the Confederacy.
- 1863 A Union force surrounds and scatters defending Confederates at the Battle of Droop Mountain, in West Virginia.
- 1887 Birth of Walter Johnson, baseball pitcher, “The Big Train.”
- 1891 Comanche, the only 7th Cavalry horse to survive George Armstrong Custer’s “Last Stand” at the Little Bighorn, dies at Fort Riley, Kansas.
- 1911 Maine becomes a dry state.
- 1945 The first landing of a jet on a carrier takes place on USS Wake Island when an FR-1 Fireball touches down.
- 1973 Coleman Young becomes the first African-American mayor of Detroit, Michigan.
- 1976 Birth of Pat Tillman, professional football player who ended his career to enlist in the US Army in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks; he was killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan, Apr. 22, 2004.
- 1986 The Iran arms-for-hostages deal is revealed, damaging the Reagan administration.