Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, November 11, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 88. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Clear, with a low around 60. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph in the evening.
Highs are expected to peak in the low 90s on Friday and then returning to the lower 70s by Tuesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1778 Indians, led by William Butler, massacre the inhabitants of Cherry Valley, N.Y.
- 1831 Nat Turner, a slave who led a revolt against slave owners, is hanged in Jerusalem, Virginia.
- 1885 Birth of George S. Patton, U.S. Army commander in World War II.
- 1889 Washington becomes the 42nd state of the Union.
- 1909 Construction begins on the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.
- 1918 The German leaders sign the armistice, ending World War I.
- 1921 The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington Cemetery is dedicated.
- 1922 Birth of Kurt Vonnegut, American novelist (Slaughterhouse Five).
- 1922 Canada’s Vernon McKenzie urges to fight U.S. propaganda with taxes on U.S. magazines.
- 1933 The first of the great dust storms of the 1930s hits North Dakota.
- 1935 Albert Anderson and Orvil Anderson set a new altitude record in South Dakota, when they float to 74,000 feet in a balloon.
- 1938 Irving Berlin’s “God Bless America” is performed for the first time by singer Kate Smith.
- 1944 Private Eddie Slovik is convicted of desertion and sentenced to death for refusing to join his unit in the European Theater of Operations.
- 1953 The polio virus is identified and photographed for the first time in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 1966 The United States launches Gemini 12, a two-man orbiter, into orbit.
- 1970 U.S. Army Special Forces raid the Son Tay prison camp in North Vietnam but find no prisoners.
- 1987 An unidentified buyer buys Vincent Van Gogh’s painting “Irises” from the estate of Joan Whitney Payson for $53.9 million at Sotheby’s in New York.
- 1993 Sculpture honoring women who served in the Vietnam War dedicated at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, DC.