Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, November 12, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 93. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 60. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph.
Highs are forecast to gradually drop, returning to the lower 70s by Tuesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1815 Birth of Elizabeth Cady Stanton, political reformer and founder of the Women’s Rights Convention.
- 1863 Confederate General James Longstreet arrives at Loudon, Tennessee, to assist the attack on Union General Ambrose Burnside’s troops at Knoxville.
- 1889 Birth of DeWitt Wallace, founder of Reader’s Digest.
- 1928 The ocean liner Vestris sinks off the Virginia cape with 328 aboard, killing 111.
- 1929 Birth of Grace Kelly, American actress and Princess of Monaco.
- 1938 Mexico agrees to compensate the United States for land seizures.
- 1944 U.S. fighters wipe out a Japanese convoy near Leyte, consisting of six destroyers, four transports and 8,000 troops.
- 1951 The U.S. Eighth Army in Korea is ordered to cease offensive operations and begin an active defense.
- 1960 The satellite Discoverer XVII is launched into orbit from California’s Vandenberg AFB.
- 1968 The U.S. Supreme Court voids an Arkansas law banning the teaching of evolution in public schools.
- 1971 President Richard Nixon announces the withdrawal of about 45,000 U.S. troops from Vietnam by February.
- 1997 Ramzi Yousef convicted of masterminding the 1993 World Trade Center bombing.