Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, November 13, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 89. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 59. Calm wind.
Highs are forecast to gradually drop, returning to the lower 70s by Tuesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1835 Texans officially proclaim independence from Mexico, and calls itself the Lone Star Republic, after its flag, until its admission to the Union in 1845.
- 1856 Birth of Louis Brandeis, the first Jew to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1860 South Carolina’s legislature calls a special convention to discuss secession from the Union.
- 1878 New Mexico Governor Lew Wallace offers amnesty to many participants of the Lincoln County War, but not to gunfighter Billy the Kid.
- 1907 Paul Corno achieves the first helicopter flight.
- 1911 Birth of John Jordan “Buck” O’Neill, first African American coach in Major League Baseball; previously, he was a first baseman and manager in the Negro League.
- 1914 The brassiere, invented by Caresse Crosby, is patented.
- 1927 New York’s Holland Tunnel officially opens for traffic.
- 1940 U.S. Supreme Court rules in Hansberry v. Lee that African Americans cannot be barred from white neighborhoods.
- 1942 Lt. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower flies to Algeria to conclude an agreement with French Admiral Jean Darlan..
- 1952 Harvard’s Paul Zoll becomes the first man to use electric shock to treat cardiac arrest.
- 1956 The U.S. Supreme Court unanimously strikes down two Alabama laws requiring racial segregation on public buses.
- 1969 Anti-war protesters stage a symbolic “March Against Death” in Washington, DC.
- 2001 US President George W. Bush signs an executive order allowing military tribunals against foreigners suspected of connections to planned or actual terrorist acts against the US.