Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, November 17, 2021:
Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then becoming sunny, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 55. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs temperatures are expected to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s until the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1800 The Sixth Congress (2nd session) convenes for the first time in Washington, D.C.
- 1842 A grim abolitionist meeting is held in Marlboro Chapel, Boston, after the imprisonment of a mulatto named George Latimer, one of the first fugitive slaves to be apprehended in Massachusetts.
- 1862 Union General Ambrose Burnside marches north out of Washington, D.C., to begin the Fredericksburg campaign.
- 1913 The first ship sails through the Panama Canal, which connects the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.
- 1916 Birth of Shelby Foote, American writer, famous for his three-volume narrative on America’s Civil War.
- 1918 Influenza deaths reported in the United States have far exceeded World War I casualties.
- 1925 Birth of Rock Hudson, actor (McMillan & Wife TV series; Giant).
- 1931 Charles Lindbergh inaugurates Pan Am service from Cuba to South America in the Sikorsky flying boat American Clipper.
- 1965 The NVA ambushes American troops of the 7th Cavalry at Landing Zone Albany in the Ia Drang Valley, almost wiping them out.
- 1967 The American Surveyor 6 makes a six-second flight on the moon, the first liftoff on the lunar surface.
- 1980 WHHM Television in Washington, D.C., becomes the first African-American public-broadcasting television station.
- 1993 US House of Representatives passes resolution to establish the North American Free Trade Agreement.