Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, November 20, 2021:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 55. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
High temperatures are expected to rise briefly into the 80s before dropping sharply back to seasonable levels on Tuesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1889 Birth of Edwin Hubble, American astronomer who proved that there are other galaxies far from our own.
- 1903 In Cheyenne, Wyoming, 42-year-old hired gunman Tom Horn is hanged for the murder of 14-year-old Willie Nickell.
- 1925 Birth of Robert F. Kennedy, U.S. Attorney General, New York senator and brother of President John F. Kennedy. He was assassinated while running for president.
- 1928 Mrs. Glen Hyde becomes the first woman to dare the Grand Canyon rapids in a scow (a flat-bottomed boat that is pushed along with a pole).
- 1942 Birth of Joe Biden, politician; US Senator from Delaware (1973–2009); President Barack Obama’s vice-president (2009-2017); President of the United States (2021-)
- 1943 U.S. Army and Marine soldiers attack the Japanese-held islands of Makin and Tarawa, respectively, in the Central Pacific.
- 1950 U.S. troops push to the Yalu River, within five miles of Manchuria.
- 1955 The Maryland National Guard is ordered desegregated.
- 1962 President John F. Kennedy bars religious or racial discrimination in federally funded housing.
- 1967 U.S. census reports the population at 200 million.
- 1971 The United States announces it will give Turkey $35 million for farmers who agree to stop growing opium poppies.
- 1974 The United States files an antitrust suit to break up AT&T.
- 1981 Microsoft Windows 1.0 released.
- 1998 First module of the International Space Station, Zarya, is launched.
- 2008 The Dow Jones Industrial Average sinks to lowest level in 11 years in response to failures in the US financial system.