Lakewood City Hall will be closed on Thursday and Friday, Nov. 25-26, for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- NO trash pickup will occur on Thursday, Nov. 25. Trash pickup for Thursday and Friday will be delayed by one day. That means pickups normally scheduled for Thursday will happen Friday, and Friday’s normal pickups will occur on Saturday.
- There will be NO residential street sweeping Thursday and Friday and no makeup sweep. Therefore, there will be NO residential street-sweeping parking tickets issued during those two days.
- DASH Transit will be closed on Nov. 25-26.
You can always check for holiday service changes at www.lakewoodcity.org/holiday (pdf).
When City Hall is closed, you can call and leave a message for the customer service department at 562-866-9771, extension 2140 or send an email to [email protected]. City staff will answer messages on the next business day.
Other ways to get service when City Hall is closed.
Tip: Remind holiday visitors of street-sweeping days
Family and friends visiting Lakewood over the holidays may be unfamiliar with Lakewood’s parking and street-sweeping schedules and regulations that help keep neighborhoods clean and safe for everyone.
Help your visitors enjoy a joyful celebration by sharing these tips to avoid tickets:
- Share the street-sweeping schedule in advance. For Thanksgiving, there will be no residential street sweeping on Thursday or Friday, Nov. 25-26, and no street-sweeping related tickets will be issued those two days. However, street sweeping will be normal on Monday through Wednesday, Nov. 22-24, so be sure early visitors know where they can safely park on those three days to avoid getting cited. Street sweeping and enforcement will resume Monday, Nov. 29.
- On your street-sweeping day only, parking is allowed on the front and side lawns.
- Any day, parking is allowed on the apron, which is the sloped area between the street and the sidewalk leading up to your driveway, as long as the vehicle does not overhang the sidewalk.
- Don’t obstruct or overhang onto the sidewalk. When parking in your driveway or on the apron any day of the week, including street-sweeping day, it is important to NOT obstruct or overhang onto the sidewalk. That creates a dangerous obstruction for pedestrians and violates the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state parking laws.
- Citations are issued only when a vehicle is immediately in the way of the sweeper. (Parking enforcement vehicles follow directly behind the sweeper.) That means you can park on the street before and after the sweeper passes your home during the posted times in your neighborhood.
Street sweeping is cancelled when city staff determines it is raining enough that water is pooling or flowing in gutters throughout a neighborhood, which prevents effective sweeping. (Sweeping still occurs during a light sprinkle.)
In the case of a rain cancellation, sweeping in that neighborhood is postponed until the regular sweeping day the following week. For example, the cancellation of a Friday sweep means the next sweep in that neighborhood is the following Friday. No sweeping-related parking citations are issued on rain cancellation days. Call or email customer service to verify if sweeping has been cancelled due to rain.
If you have any questions, please contact Lakewood customer service staff at 562-866-9771, extension 2140 or at [email protected].