Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, November 24, 2021:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 55. East wind around 5 mph becoming northeast in the evening.
Highs are expected to return to the 80s for Thanksgiving and several days afterwards, with highs gradually dropping over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1784 Birth of Zachary Taylor, general during the Mexican War, 12th President of the United States.
- 1863 In the Battle Above the Clouds, Union Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker’s forces take Lookout Mountain, near Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- 1864 Kit Carson and his 1st Cavalry, New Mexico Volunteers, attack a camp of Kiowa Indians in the First Battle of Adobe Walls.
- 1874 Joseph Glidden receives a patent for barbed wire.
- 1902 The first Congress of Professional Photographers convenes in Paris.
- 1925 Birth of William F. Buckley, Jr., journalist, founder of National Review.
- 1927 Federal officials battle 1,200 inmates after prisoners in Folsom Prison revolt.
- 1938 Mexico seizes oil land adjacent to Texas.
- 1944 American B-29s flying from Saipan bomb Tokyo.
- 1961 The United Nations adopts bans on nuclear arms over American protests.
- 1963 Jack Ruby fatally shoots the accused assassin of President Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, in the garage of the Dallas Police Department.
- 1979 The United States admits that thousands of troops in Vietnam were exposed to the toxic Agent Orange.
- 1992 US Congress passes the Brady Bill requiring a 5-day waiting period for handgun sales; the bill is named for Pres. Ronald Reagan’s press secretary who was left partially paralyzed by a bullet during an assassination attempt on Reagan.