Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, November 27, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 52. Calm wind.
Highs are expected to remain in the upper 70s for the next several days, with highs gradually dropping over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1826 Jebediah Smith’s expedition reaches San Diego, becoming the first Americans to cross the southwestern part of the continent.
- 1862 George Armstrong Custer meets his future bride, Elizabeth Bacon, at a Thanksgiving party.
- 1868 Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer’s 7th Cavalry kills Chief Black Kettle and about 100 Cheyenne (mostly women and children) on the Washita River.
- 1874 Birth of Charles A. Beard, distinguished American historian who wrote History of the United States.
- 1887 U.S. Deputy Marshall Frank Dalton, brother of the three famous outlaws, is killed in the line of duty near Fort Smith, Ark.
- 1909 U.S. troops land in Blue fields, Nicaragua, to protect American interests there.
- 1942 Birth of Jimi Hendrix, influential rock musician.
- 1950 East of the Choosing River, Chinese forces annihilate an American task force.
- 1967 Lyndon Johnson appoints Robert McNamara to presidency of the World Bank.
- 1973 US Senate votes to confirm Gerald Ford as Vice President of the United States, following Spiro Agnew’s resignation; the House will confirm Ford on Dec. 6.
- 1978 San Francisco mayor George Moscone and Harvey Milk, the city’s first openly gay supervisor, assassinated by former city supervisor Dan White.
- 2001 The Hubble Space Telescope discovers a hydrogen atmosphere on planet Osiris, the first atmosphere detected on an extrasolar planet.