World AIDS Day is December 1. In recognition of World AIDS Day and the 2021 campaign theme, “Ending the HIV Epidemic: Equitable Access, Everyone’s Voice,” the OC Health Care Agency (HCA) recognizes the key role that our local communities have in the HIV/AIDS response. World AIDS Day unites community efforts to stop new HIV infections, increase awareness of HIV, support those living with HIV, and remember those who have lost their lives.
“Prevention works, treatment is effective and people do live long and productive lives,” said Dr. Clayton Chau, HCA Director and County Health Officer. This year has been especially poignant as we mark 40 years since the first five cases of what later became known as AIDS were reported. Worldwide more than 75 million people have been diagnosed with HIV and in Orange County, 13,825 people have been diagnosed with HIV since reporting began in 1981. Our community members can help end the stigma of HIV by getting tested, knowing their status, and supporting those living with HIV.
Local World AIDS Day Events:
- The City of Laguna Beach HIV Advisory Committee will be hosting a Meet & Greet at 3:00 p.m. on the Main Beach cobblestones followed by a Candlelight Celebration from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Laguna Beach Community Clinic will be providing free HIV testing vouchers at the event.
Regional World AIDS Day Events:
- The Prevention through Active Community Engagement (PACE) program (Region 9) is co-hosting a virtual discussion in honor of World AIDS Day on Addressing Behavioral Health: A Critical Component to Ending the HIV Epidemic on Monday, December 6, 2021, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. To register for the event, use the following link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_h300m_KeTWaSDTxIkpDC1g
HIV Testing is Available Year-Round at These Locations:
Due to COVID-19, testing services and hours may change without notice. To make an appointment or for additional information regarding testing hours, contact:
- APAIT Health Center: Testing is offered Monday – Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call (714) 636-1349 or visit www.apaitonline.org for more information.
- OC HCA/17th Street Testing & Treatment Clinic: Clinic hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Tuesday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Walk-ins accepted based on availability. Call (714) 834-8787 to make an appointment or visit www.ochealthinfo.com/std for more information.
- Radiant Health Centers: Testing is offered by appointment only. Tuesday and Wednesday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Thursday, 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Friday 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Call (949) 809-8764 or visit www.radianthealthcenters.org/lgbtq-medical-clinic/testing-services for more information.
- The LGBTQ Center OC: Testing is offered Tuesday, 10:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. To make an appointment or for more information call (714) 953-5428 or visit www.lgbtqcenteroc.org/services/hiv-testing.
For more information on World AIDS Day, visit: www.hiv.gov/events/awareness-days/world-aids-day.