Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, December 1, 2021:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 76. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 4am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 51. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Highs are forecast to gradually drop into the lower 70s over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1861 The U.S. gunboat Penguin seizes the Confederate blockade runner Albion carrying supplies worth almost $100,000.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln gives the State of the Union address to the 37th Congress.
- 1863 Belle Boyd, a Confederate spy, is released from prison in Washington.
- 1881 Virgil, Wyatt and Morgan Earp are exonerated in court for their action in the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral in Tombstone, Ariz.
- 1886 Birth of Rex Stout, writer, creator of detective character Nero Wolfe.
- 1913 Birth of Mary Martin, American actress.
- 1918 An American army of occupation enters Germany.
- 1941 The first Civil Air Patrol is organized in the United States.
- 1941 Japan’s Tojo rejects U.S. proposals for a Pacific settlement as fantastic and unrealistic.
- 1955 Rosa Parks refuses to sit in the back of a Montgomery, Alabama, bus, defying the South’s segregationist laws.
- 1969 America’s first draft lottery since 1942 is held.
- 1981 The AIDS virus is officially recognized.
- 1986 Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North pleads the 5th Amendment before a Senate panel investigating the Iran-Contra arms sale.
- 2001 Trans World Airlines’ final flight following the carrier’s purchase by American Airlines; TWA began operating 76 years earlier. The final flight, 220, piloted by Capt. Bill Compton, landed at St. Louis International Airport.