Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, December 4, 2021:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 65. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 50. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
Highs temperatures are forecast to remain in the 60s for the coming week, with a slight chance of rain at the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1584 Birth of John Cotton, English-born Puritan clergyman (The Way of the Church of Christ in New England).
- 1861 The U.S. Senate, voting 36 to 0, expels Senator John C. Brekinridge of Kentucky because of his joining the Confederate Army.
- 1862 Winchester, Va., falls into Union hands, resulting in the capture of 145 Southern soldiers.
- 1863 Seven solid days of bombardment ends at Charleston, S.C. The Union fires some 1,307 rounds.
- 1872 The U.S. brigantine Marie Celeste is found adrift and deserted with its cargo intact, in the Atlantic Ocean between the Azores and Portugal.
- 1942 U.S. planes make the first raids on Naples, Italy.
- 1947 Tennessee William’s play A Streetcar Named Desire premieres on Broadway starring Marlon Brando and Jessica Tandy.
- 1950 The University of Tennessee defies court rulings by rejecting five Negro applicants.
- 1952 The Grumman XS2F-1 makes its first flight.
- 1981 President Ronald Reagan broadens the power of the CIA by allowing spying in the United States.
- 1985 Robert McFarland resigns as National Security Advisor. Admiral John Poindexter is named to succeed.
- 1991 The last American hostages held in Lebanon are released.
- 1992 US Pres. George H. W. Bush orders 28,000 troops to Somalia during the Somali Civil War.