Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, December 8, 2021:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 65. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Rain, mainly after 4am. Low around 54. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Highs temperatures are forecast to remain in the 60s for the coming week, with a chance of precipitation.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1765 Birth of Eli Whitney, inventor of the cotton gin.
- 1861 CSS Sumter captures the whaler Eben Dodge in the Atlantic. The American Civil War is now affecting the Northern whaling industry.
- 1863 Union General William Averell’s cavalry destroys railroads in the southwestern part of West Virginia.
- 1894 Birth of James Thurber, American writer, cartoonist and editor (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty).
- 1920 President Woodrow Wilson declines to send a representative to the League of Nations in Geneva.
- 1925 Birth of Sammy Davis Jr., singer (“The Candy Man”), dancer, actor (Ocean’s 11); member of the “Rat Pack”.
- 1943 U.S. carrier-based planes sink two cruisers and down 72 planes in the Marshall Islands.
- 1944 The United States conducts the longest, most effective air raid on the Pacific island of Iwo Jima.
- 1980 John Lennon is shot to death outside his Manhattan apartment building.
- 1982 The Washington, D.C., police shoot and kill a man threatening to blow up the Washington Monument.
- 1987 The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty signed.
- 2010 SpaceX becomes the first privately held company to successfully launch, orbit and recover a spacecraft.