Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, December 17, 2021:
Sunny, with a high near 65. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Mostly clear, with a low around 40. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph.
Highs temperatures are forecast to remain in the low to mid 60s, with a chance of precipitation coming in the middle of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1807 Birth of John Greenleaf Whittier, American poet, abolitionist, reformer and founder of the Liberal Party.
- 1861 The Stonewall Brigade begins to dismantle Dam No. 5 of the C&O Canal.
- 1886 At a Christmas party, Sam Starr (husband to infamous outlaw queen Belle Starr) shoots his old enemy Frank West, but is fatally wounded himself.
- 1903 Near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, Orville and Wilbur Wright make the first successful flight in history of a self-propelled, heavier-than-air aircraft.
- 1908 Birth of Willard Frank Libby, American chemist who won a Nobel Prize for his part in creating the carbon-14 method in dating ancient findings.
- 1929 Birth of William Safire, journalist and author.
- 1930 Birth of Bob Guccione, publisher; founder of Penthouse magazine.
- 1937 Birth of US Lt. Gen. Calvin Waller, deputy commander-in-chief for military operations with US Central Command (Forward) during the First Gulf War.
- 1944 U.S. approves end to internment of Japanese Americans. U.S. Major General Henry C. Pratt issues Public Proclamation No. 21, declaring that Japanese American “evacuees” from the West Coast could return to their homes effective January 2, 1945.
- 1948 The Smithsonian Institution accepts the Kitty Hawk – the Wright brothers’ plane.
- 1989 The Simpsons, television’s longest-running animated series, makes its US debut.