Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, December 20, 2021:
Partly sunny, with a high near 64. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Calm wind.
Highs temperatures are forecast to remain in the low to mid 60s for the first half of the week. A weather system will move through the region in the back half of the week, bringing a chance of rain and high temperatures in the 50s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1802 The United States buys the Louisiana territory from France.
- 1860 South Carolina secedes from the Union.
- 1861 English transports loaded with 8,000 troops set sail for Canada so that troops are available if the “Trent Affair” is not settled without war.
- 1868 Birth of Harvey Firestone, industrialist and tire maker.
- 1881 Birth of Branch Rickey, president of the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- 1901 Birth of Robert J. Van de Graff, physicist, invented the Van de Graaff generator.
- 1904 Birth of Virgil “Spud” Davis, pro baseball catcher, coach, scout and manager.
- 1914 Birth of Harry F. Byrd Jr., first independent ever elected to US Senate by a majority of the popular vote (Virginia).
- 1938 First electronic television system is patented.
- 1941 The Flying Tigers, American pilots in China, enter combat against the Japanese over Kunming.
- 1948 U.S. Supreme Court announces that it has no jurisdiction to hear the appeals of Japanese war criminals sentenced by the International Military Tribunal.
- 1989 U.S. troops invade Panama to oust General Manuel Noriega and replace him with Guillermo Endara.
- 1996 NeXT merges with Apple Computer, leading to the development of groundbreaking Mac OS X.