Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, December 21, 2021:
Partly sunny, with a high near 67. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Highs temperatures are forecast to remain in the low to mid 60s for the first half of the week. A weather system will move through the region in the back half of the week, bringing a chance of rain and high temperatures in the 50s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1620 The Pilgrims land at or near Plymouth Rock.
- 1790 Samuel Slater opens the first cotton mill in the United States (in Rhode Island).
- 1862 The U.S. Congress authorizes the Medal of Honor to be awarded to Navy personnel who have distinguished themselves by their gallantry in action.
- 1866 Indians, led by Red Cloud and Crazy Horse, kill Captain William J. Fetterman and 79 other men who had ventured out from Fort Phil Kearny to cut wood.
- 1911 Birth of Josh Gibson, baseball player for the Negro Leagues, Home-Run King.
- 1928 President Calvin Coolidge signs the Boulder Dam bill.
- 1945 General George S. Patton dies at the age of 60 after being injured in a car accident.
- 1965 Four pacifists are indicted in New York for burning draft cards.
- 1988 Pan Am Flight 103 from London to New York explodes in midair over Lockerbie, Scotland, an hour after departure. All 259 passengers were killed in the explosion caused by a bomb– hidden inside an audio cassette player — that detonated inside the cargo area when the plane was at an altitude of 31,000 feet. A shower of airplane parts falling from the sky also killed 11 Lockerbie residents.
- 2004 A suicide bomber attacks the forward operating base next to the US military airfield at Mosul, Iraq, killing 22 people; it is the deadliest suicide attack on US soldiers during the Iraq War.