Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, December 25, 2021:
A chance of showers, mainly after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Showers likely, mainly before 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
There will be a chance of precipitation through much of the week, with highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1621 The governor of New Plymouth prevents newcomers from playing cards.
- 1651 The General Court of Boston levies a five shilling fine on anyone caught “observing any such day as Christmas.”
- 1776 Patriot General George Washington crosses the Delaware River with 5,400 troops during the American Revolution. Washington hoped to surprise a Hessian force celebrating Christmas at their winter quarters in Trenton, New Jersey.
- 1841 Birth of Clara Barton, founder of the Red Cross.
- 1861 Stonewall Jackson spends Christmas with his wife; their last together.
- 1862 John Hunt Morgan and his raiders clash with Union forces near Bear Wallow, Kentucky.
- 1862 President and Mrs. Lincoln visit hospitals in the Washington D.C. area on this Christmas Day.
- 1924 Birth of Rod Serling, screenwriter, producer; created The Twilight Zone TV series.
- 1925 U.S. troops in Nicaragua disarm insurgents in support of the Diaz regime.
- 1965 Entertainer Chris Noel gives her first performance for the USO at two hospitals in California; became a star on Armed Forces Radio and Television, entertaining troops in Vietnam; in 1984 Veterans Network honored her with a Distinguished Vietnam Veteran award.
- 1973 U.S. astronauts onboard the Skylab space station take a seven-hour walk in space and photograph the comet Kohoutek.
- 2006 James Brown, the “Godfather of Soul”, dies at age 73.