Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, January 3, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 61. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 42. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Sunny skies are expected to continue, with highs in the low to mid 60s and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1621 Birth of William Tucker, believed to be first African-American born in the New World.
- 1777 General George Washington defeats the British led by British General Lord Charles Cornwallis, at Princeton, New Jersey.
- 1793 Birth of Lucretia Coffin Mott, women’s rights advocate and founder of the first Women’s Rights Convention.
- 1861 Delaware rejects a proposal that it join the South in seceding from the Union.
- 1911 Birth of John Sturges, director (The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape).
- 1912 Plans are announced for a new $150,000 Brooklyn stadium for the Trolley Dodgers baseball team.
- 1917 Birth of Vernon A. Walters, US Army lieutenant general, diplomat, deputy director of Central Intelligence; member of Military Intelligence Hall of Fame.
- 1920 The last of the U.S. troops depart France.
- 1923 Birth of Bud Adams, owner of Houston Oilers (later Tennessee Titans) football team; instrumental in founding the former American Football League.
- 1931 Hundreds of farmers storm a small town in depression-plagued Arkansas demanding food.
- 1946 President Harry S. Truman calls on Americans to spur Congress to act on the on-going labor crisis.
- 1959 Alaska is admitted into the Union as the 49th and largest state.
- 1961 The United States breaks diplomatic relations with Cuba.
- 1966 Cambodia warns the United Nations of retaliation unless the United States and South Vietnam end intrusions.
- 1977 Apple Computers incorporates.
- 1985 President Ronald Reagan condemns a rash of arson attacks on abortion clinics.
- 1990 Manuel Noriega, former leader of Panama, surrenders to US forces.
- 1993 George H. W. Bush and Boris Yeltsin sign the second Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START).
- 1999 Mars Polar Lander launched.
- 2000 The last original weekday Peanuts comic strip is published after a 50-year run, following the death of the strip’s creator, Charles Schultz.