Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, January 7, 2022:
Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then clearing, with a high near 61. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 49. South wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
Sunny skies are expected to continue, with highs in 60s and lows in the 40s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1718 Birth of Israel Putnam, American Revolutionary War hero.
- 1785 Frenchman Jean-Pierre Blanchard and American Dr. John Jeffries make the first crossing of the English Channel in a hydrogen balloon.
- 1800 Birth of Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States.
- 1865 Cheyenne and Sioux warriors attack Julesburg, Colo., in retaliation for the Sand Creek Massacre.
- 1901 New York stock exchange trading exceeds two million shares for the first time in history.
- 1944 The U.S. Air Force announces the production of the first jet-fighter, Bell P-59 Airacomet.
- 1945 U.S. air ace Major Thomas B. McGuire, Jr. is killed in the Pacific.
- 1955 Marian Anderson becomes the first African American to sing at the Metropolitan Opera House.
- 1980 US President Jimmy Carter signs legislation providing $1.5 billion in loans to salvage Chrysler Corporation.
- 1999 The impeachment trial of US President Bill Clinton opens in the US Senate.