Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, January 11, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 78. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 47. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph.
Highs are expected to drop back to seasonable levels by the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1757 Birth of Alexander Hamilton, first U.S. Secretary of Treasury, killed in a duel with Aaron Burr.
- 1843 Francis Scott Key, author of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” dies in Baltimore.
- 1861 Alabama secedes from the Union.
- 1862 Lincoln accepts Simon Cameron’s resignation as Secretary of War.
- 1864 Birth of H. George Selfridge, founder of Selfridge and Co., Ltd., coined the phrase “the customer is always right.”
- 1887 At Fort Smith, Arkansas, hangman George Maledon dispatches four victims in a multiple hanging.
- 1940 Benjamin O. Davis, Sr., becomes the U.S. Army’s first black general, his son would later become a general as well.
- 1941 Adolf Hitler orders forces to be prepared to enter North Africa to assist the Italian effort, marking the establishment of the Afrika Korps.
- 1948 President Harry S. Truman proposes free, two-year community colleges for all who want an education.
- 1980 Honda announces it will build the first Japanese-owned passenger-car assembly plant in the United States–in Ohio.
- 2003 Illinois Gov. George Ryan commutes the death sentences of 167 prisoners on the state’s death row in the wake of allegations that Chicago police detective and commander Jon Burge tortured confessions from some 200 suspects over a 19 year period.