Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, January 14, 2022:
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
A slight chance of showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Highs are expected to drop back to seasonable levels early next week, accompanied by mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1730 Birth of William Whipple, signatory of Declaration of Independence.
- 1741 Birth of Benedict Arnold, American colonial General turned traitor.
- 1864 Confederate President Jefferson Davis writes to General Joseph E. Johnson, observing that troops may need to be sent to Alabama or Mississippi.
- 1911 The USS Arkansas, the largest U.S. battleship, is launched from the yards of the New York Shipbuilding Company.
- 1916 British authorities seize German attaché Franz von Papen’s financial records confirming espionage activities in the U.S.
- 1919 Birth of Andy Rooney, American humorist, author and television personality (60 Minutes).
- 1942 President Franklin D. Roosevelt orders all aliens in the U.S. to register with the government.
- 1943 Franklin Roosevelt, Winston Churchill, and Charles DeGaulle meet at Casablanca to discuss the direction of the war.
- 2005 Huygens probe lands on Saturn’s moon Titan.