Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, January 15, 2022:
A slight chance of showers after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 69. Light north wind becoming east 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Highs are expected to drop back to seasonable levels early next week, accompanied by mostly sunny skies, before rising again in the back half of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1716 Birth of Philip Livingston, signatory to the Declaration of Independence.
- 1811 In a secret session, Congress plans to annex Spanish East Florida.
- 1823 Birth of Mathew Brady, Civil War photographer.
- 1865 Union troops capture Fort Fisher, North Carolina.
- 1908 Birth of Edward Teller, Hungarian-born U.S. physicist known as the “Father of the H-bomb.”
- 1913 The first telephone line between Berlin and New York is inaugurated.
- 1920 The Dry Law goes into effect in the United States. Selling liquor and beer becomes illegal.
- 1920 The United States approves a $150 million loan to Poland, Austria and Armenia to aid in their war with the Russian communists.
- 1927 The Dumbarton Bridge opens in San Francisco carrying the first auto traffic across the bay.
- 1929 Birth of Martin Luther King, Jr., civil rights leader and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 1929 The U.S. Senate ratifies the Kellogg-Briand anti-war pact.
- 1930 Amelia Earhart sets an aviation record for women at 171 mph in a Lockheed Vega.
- 1944 The U.S. Fifth Army successfully breaks the German Winter Line in Italy with the capture of Mount Trocchio.
- 1967 Some 462 Yale faculty members call for an end to the bombing in North Vietnam.
- 1973 Four of six remaining Watergate defendants plead guilty.
- 1973 US President Richard Nixon announces the suspension of offensive action by US troops in Vietnam.
- 1976 Sara Jane Moore sentenced to life in prison for her failed attempt to assassinate US President Gerald Ford.
- 1991 UN deadline for Iraq to withdraw its forces from occupied Kuwait passes, setting the stage for Operation Desert Storm.
- 2001 Wikipedia goes online.