Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, January 16, 2022:
Partly sunny, with a high near 72. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Highs are expected to drop back to seasonable levels early in the week week, accompanied by partly sunny skies, before rising into the 70s again in the back half of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1757 Birth of Samuel McIntire, architect of Salem, Massachusetts.
- 1786 The Council of Virginia guarantees religious freedom.
- 1821 Birth of John C. Breckinridge, 14th U.S. Vice President, Confederate Secretary of War.
- 1847 John C. Fremont, the famed “Pathfinder” of Western exploration, is appointed governor of California.
- 1865 General William T. Sherman begins a march through the Carolinas.
- 1900 The U.S. Senate recognizes the Anglo-German Treaty of 1899 by which the UK renounced its rights to the Samoan Islands.
- 1909 Birth of Ethel Merman, U.S. singer and actress, the “Queen of Broadway.”
- 1933 Birth of Susan Sontag, American essayist and novelist (The Style of Radical Will, Illness as a Metaphor).
- 1939 Franklin D. Roosevelt asks for an extension of the Social Security Act to include more women and children.
- 1944 Eisenhower assumes supreme command of the Allied Expeditionary Force in Europe.
- 1945 The U.S. First and Third armies link up at Houffalize, effectively ending the Battle of the Bulge.
- 1965 Eighteen are arrested in Mississippi for the murder of three civil rights workers.
- 1991 The Persian Gulf War begins. The massive U.S.-led offensive against Iraq — Operation Desert Storm — ends on February 28, 1991, when President George Bush declares a cease-fire, and Iraq pledges to honor future coalition and U.N. peace terms.