Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, January 21, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 72. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 50. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s until the new week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1648 In Maryland, the first woman lawyer in the colonies, Margaret Brent, is denied a vote in the Maryland Assembly.
- 1737 Birth of Ethan Allen, American Revolutionary commander.
- 1785 Chippewa, Delaware, Ottawa and Wyandot Indians sign the treaty of Fort McIntosh, ceding present-day Ohio to the United States.
- 1824 Birth of Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, Confederate General.
- 1910 Japan rejects the American proposal to neutralize ownership of the Manchurian Railway.
- 1919 The German Krupp plant begins producing guns under the U.S. armistice terms.
- 1921 J.D. Rockefeller pledges $1 million for the relief of Europe’s destitute.
- 1941 The United States lifts the ban on selling arms to the Soviet Union.
- 1964 Carl T. Rowan is named the director of the United States Information Agency (USIA).
- 1968 In Vietnam, the Siege of Khe Sanh begins as North Vietnamese units surround U.S. Marines based on the hilltop headquarters.
- 1974 The U.S. Supreme Court decides that pregnant teachers can no longer be forced to take long leaves of absence.
- 1977 President Carter urges 65 degrees as the maximum heat in homes to ease the energy crisis.
- 1993 Congressman Mike Espy of Mississippi is confirmed as Secretary of the Department of Agriculture.