Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, January 22, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 74. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 49. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in the upper 60s to lower 70s for the coming week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1807 President Thomas Jefferson exposes a plot by Aaron Burr to form a new republic in the Southwest.
- 1813 During the War of 1812, British forces under Henry Proctor defeat a U.S. contingent planning an attack on Fort Detroit.
- 1863 In an attempt to out flank Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia, General Ambrose Burnside leads his army on a march to north Fredericksburg, but foul weather bogs his army down in what will become known as the “Mud March.”
- 1874 Birth of D.W. [David Wark] Griffith, influential U.S. film director (The Birth of A Nation, Intolerance).
- 1890 Birth of Fred Vinson, Thirteenth Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1906 Birth of Willa Brown-Chappell, pioneer aviator.
- 1944 U.S. troops under Major General John P. Lucas make an amphibious landing behind German lines at Anzio, Italy, just south of Rome.
- 1982 President Ronald Reagan formally links progress in arms control to Soviet repression in Poland.