Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, January 25, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 71. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 47. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s for the coming week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1787 Small farmers in Springfield, Massachusetts led by Daniel Shays, revolt against tax laws. Federal troops break up the protesters of what becomes known as Shay’s Rebellion.
- 1846 The dreaded Corn Laws, which taxed imported oats, wheat and barley, are repealed by the British Parliament.
- 1904 Two-hundred coal miners are trapped in their Pennsylvania mine after an explosion.
- 1915 Alexander Graham Bell in New York and Thomas Watson in San Francisco make a record telephone transmission.
- 1918 Austria and Germany reject U.S. peace proposals.
- 1929 Members of the New York Stock Exchange ask for an additional 275 seats.
- 1930 New York police rout a Communist rally at the Town Hall.
- 1949 Axis Sally, who broadcasted Nazi propaganda to U.S. troops in Europe, stands trial in the United States for war crimes.
- 1951 The U.S. Eighth Army in Korea launches Operation Thunderbolt, a counter attack to push the Chinese Army north of the Han River.
- 1955 Columbia University scientists develop an atomic clock that is accurate to within one second in 300 years.
- 1956 Khrushchev says that he believes that Eisenhower is sincere in his efforts to abolish war.
- 1959 American Airlines begins its first coast-to-coast flight service on a Boeing 707.
- 1972 Shirley Chisholm, the first African American woman elected to U.S. Congress, announces candidacy for president.
- 1972 Nixon airs the eight-point peace plan for Vietnam, asking for POW release in return for withdrawal.
- 1984 President Reagan endorses the development of the first U.S. permanently-manned space station.