Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, January 26, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 74. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 44. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s for the coming week, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1826 Birth of Julia Dent Grant, wife of Ulysses S. Grant.
- 1861 Louisiana secedes from the Union.
- 1863 President Lincoln names General Joseph Hooker to replace Burnside as commander of the Army of the Potomac.
- 1875 Pinkerton agents, hunting Jesse James, kill his 18-year-old half-brother and seriously injure his mother with a bomb.
- 1880 Birth of Douglas MacArthur, U.S. general in World War I, World War II and Korea.
- 1893 Birth of Bessie Coleman, pioneer aviator.
- 1942 American Expeditionary Force lands in Northern Ireland.
- 1969 California is declared a disaster area after two days of flooding and mud slides.
- 2005 Condoleezza Rice is appointed to the post of secretary of state. The post makes her the highest ranking African-American woman ever to serve in a U.S. presidential cabinet.