Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, February 5, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 75. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Calm wind.
High temperatures are expected to rise gradually, peaking in the 80s around midweek before gradually dropping.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1631 A ship from Bristol, the Lyon, arrives with provisions for the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1723 Birth of John Witherspoon, Declaration of Independence signer.
- 1783 Sweden recognizes U.S. independence.
- 1846 The first Pacific Coast newspaper, Oregon Spectator, is published.
- 1848 Birth of Belle Starr, Western outlaw.
- 1864 Federal forces occupy Jackson, Miss.
- 1865 The three-day Battle of Hatcher’s Run, Va., begins.
- 1898 Birth of Ralph McGill, editor and publisher of the Atlanta Constitution.
- 1900 Birth of Adlai E. Stevenson II, Illinois governor and presidential candidate.
- 1900 The United States and Great Britain sign the Hay-Pauncefote Treaty, giving the United States the right to build a canal in Nicaragua but not to fortify it.
- 1917 U.S. Congress nullifies President Woordrow Wilson’s veto of the Immigration Act; literacy tests are required.
- 1922 The Reader’s Digest begins publication in New York.
- 1934 Birth of Hank Aaron, American hall of fame baseball player.
- 1945 American and French troops destroy German forces in the Colmar Pocket in France.
- 1947 The Soviet Union and Great Britain reject terms for an American trusteeship over Japanese Pacific Isles.
- 1952 New York adopts three-colored traffic lights.
- 1968 U.S. troops divide Viet Cong at Hue while the Saigon government claims they will arm loyal citizens.
- 1971 Two Apollo 14 astronauts walk on the moon.
- 1972 It is reported that the United States has agreed to sell 42 F-4 Phantom jets to Israel.
- 1985 U.S. halts a loan to Chile in protest over human rights abuses.