Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, February 8, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 79. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 54. Calm wind.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the 80s for the week, peaking on Wednesday in the mid-80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1820 Birth of William T. Sherman, Union general in the American Civil War.
- 1861 Delegates from seceded states adopt a provisional Confederate Constitution.
- 1862 Union troops under Gen. Ambrose Burnside defeat a Confederate defense force at the Battle of Roanoke Island, N.C.
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill and men attack a group of Federal wagons at New Market, Kentucky.
- 1887 Congress passes the Dawes Act, which gives citizenship to Indians living apart from their tribe.
- 1906 Birth of Chester F. Carlson, physicist, inventor of xerography, the electrostatic dry-copy process.
- 1910 The Boy Scouts of America is incorporated.
- 1924 The gas chamber is used for the first time to execute a murderer.
- 1931 Birth of James Dean, film actor and 1950s teenage icon (Rebel Without a Cause, East of Eden, Giant).
- 1962 The U.S. Defense Department reports the creation of the Military Assistance Command in South Vietnam.
- 1990 CBS television temporarily suspends Andy Rooney for his anti-gay and ant-black remarks in a magazine interview.