Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, February 14, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 77. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 10pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 52. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to drop sharply, with a chance of precipitation Tuesday, followed by a slight rise in highs.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1760 Birth of Richard Allen, first black ordained by a Methodist-Episcopal church.
- 1779 American Loyalists are defeated by Patriots at Kettle Creek, Ga.
- 1817 Birth of Frederick Douglass, slave, and later, activist and author.
- 1848 James Polk becomes the first U.S. President to be photographed in office by Matthew Brady.
- 1859 Oregon is admitted as the thirty-third state.
- 1859 Birth of George Washington Gale Ferris, inventor of the Ferris Wheel.
- 1870 Esther Morris becomes the world’s first female justice of the peace.
- 1876 Rival inventors Elisha Gray and Alexander Graham Bell both apply for patents for the telephone.
- 1894 Birth of Jack Benny, comedian, radio and television performer, and violinist.
- 1904 The “Missouri Kid” is captured in Kansas.
- 1912 Arizona becomes the 48th state in the Union.
- 1915 Kaiser Wilhelm II invites the U.S. Ambassador to Berlin in order to confer on the war.
- 1920 The League of Women Voters is formed in Chicago in celebration of the imminent ratification of the 19th Amendment, giving women the right to vote.
- 1924 Thomas Watson founds International Business Machines Corp.
- 1929 Chicago gang war between Al Capone and George “Bugs” Moran culminates with several Moran confederates being gunned down in the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre.
- 1955 A Jewish couple loses their fight to adopt Catholic twins as the U.S. Supreme Court refuses to rule on state law.
- 1957 The Georgia state senate outlaws interracial athletics.
- 1965 Malcolm X’s home is firebombed. No injuries are reported.
- 1973 The United States and Hanoi set up a group to channel reconstruction aid directly to Hanoi.
- 1979 Armed guerrillas attack the U.S. embassy in Tehran.