Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, February 15, 2022:
A chance of showers. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 62. South wind 10 to 20 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 43. West wind 10 to 15 mph becoming west 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Highs are expected to return to the 70s for several days before dropping back into the 60s, with mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1726 Birth of Abraham Clark, signer of Declaration of Independence.
- 1798 The first serious fist fight occurs in Congress.
- 1804 New Jersey becomes the last northern state to abolish slavery.
- 1820 Birth of Susan B. Anthony, suffragette and political activist.
- 1862 Union General Ulysses S. Grant launches a major assault on Fort Donelson, Tenn.
- 1869 Charges of treason against Jefferson Davis are dropped.
- 1882 Birth of John Barrymore, actor, sibling to actors Lionel Barrymore & Ethel Barrymore, father of actors John Drew Barrymore & Diana Barrymore and grandfather of actor Drew Barrymore.
- 1898 The U.S. battleship Maine blows up in Havana Harbor, killing 268 sailors and bringing hordes of Western cowboys and gunfighters rushing to enlist in the Spanish-American War.
- 1905 Birth of Harold Arlen, composer, arranger and pianist (“Stormy Weather,” “It’s Only a Paper Moon”).
- 1934 U.S. Congress passes the Civil Works Emergency Relief Act, allotting new funds for Federal Emergency Relief Administration.
- 1943 The Germans break the American Army’s lines at the Fanid-Sened Sector in Tunisia, North Africa.
- 1944 American bombers attack the Abbey of Monte Cassino in an effort to neutralize it as a German observation post in central Italy.
- 1961 Eighteen members of the U.S. figure skating team are lost in an airplane crash in Belgium.
- 1967 Thirteen U.S. helicopters are shot down in one day in Vietnam
- 1974 U.S. gas stations threaten to close because of federal fuel policies.