Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, February 16, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 66. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 45. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to return to the 70s for several days before dropping back into the 60s, with mostly sunny skies and a slight chance of showers early next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1760 Cherokee Indians held hostage at Fort St. George are killed in revenge for Indian attacks on frontier settlements.
- 1804 US Navy lieutenant Steven Decatur leads a small group of sailors into Tripoli harbor and burns the USS Philadelphia, captured earlier by Barbary pirates.
- 1838 Birth of Henry Adams, U.S. historian, son and grandson of the presidents.
- 1852 Birth of Charles Taze Russell, founder of the International Bible Students Association which later became the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
- 1862 Fort Donelson, Tennessee, falls to Grant’s Federal forces, but not before Nathan Bedford Forrest escapes.
- 1865 Columbia, South Carolina, surrenders to Federal troops.
- 1904 Birth of George Kennan, U.S. diplomat and historian.
- 1923 Bessie Smith makes her first recording “Down Hearted Blues.”
- 1934 Thousands of Socialists battle Communists at a rally in New York’s Madison Square Garden.
- 1937 Dupont patents a new thread, nylon, which will replace silk in a number of products and reduce costs.
- 1945 American paratroopers land on Corregidor, in a campaign to liberate the Philippines.
- 1952 The FBI arrests 10 members of the Ku Klux Klan in North Carolina.
- 1957 A U.S. flag flies over an outpost in Wilkes Land, Antarctica.
- 1965 Four persons are held in a plot to blow up the Statue of Liberty, Liberty Bell and the Washington Monument.