Santa Ana Mayor, former City Councilmember, and business owner Vicente Sarmiento announced a wave of endorsements today in his race for the newly-drawn Latino-Majority Orange County Board of Supervisors District 2 seat.
Raised in Santa Ana and Central Orange County, Sarmiento attended local public schools, graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, with a Bachelor of Arts in Economics, and earned his Law Degree from the University of California, Los Angeles. He proudly returned home to Santa Ana with his wife Eva to raise their family, start his own Santa Ana-based financial law practice, and serve as a city councilmember and the current mayor of Santa Ana.
“I am honored to have earned the support of so many outstanding Orange County leaders and the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 324.” Mayor Sarmiento said. “Our campaign is building a diverse, grassroots coalition that prioritizes public health and safety, celebrates diversity, and improves government transparency for the residents of Santa Ana, Anaheim, Garden Grove, Orange, and Tustin.”
The United Food and Commercial Workers Local 324 represents 23,000 men and women who are employed in the food, dental, financial, health care, optometry, packinghouse, processing, retail drug, cannabis, and merchandise industries throughout Orange and southern Los Angeles Counties.
“While many Orange County officials failed to take necessary steps to keep residents safe and healthy, Mayor Sarmiento led Santa Ana, the second largest city in the county, through the COVID-19 crisis,” Matt Bell, Secretary-Treasurer of UFCW Local 324, said. “Under his leadership, essential grocery and pharmacy workers received a $4 per hour increase in salary for a three month period during the pandemic. Mayor Sarmiento has always stood with essential workers, especially throughout the pandemic, which is why United Food and Commercial Workers Local 324 is proud to stand with him in the race for Orange County Board of Supervisors District 2.”
A full list of endorsers includes:
- United Food and Commercial Workers Local 324
- Santa Ana City Councilmember Johnathon Hernandez
- Santa Ana City Councilmember Jessie Lopez
- Tustin City Councilmember Letitia Clark
- Santa Ana Unified School District Trustee Carolyn Torres
- Rancho Santiago Community College District Trustee Sal Tinajero
- Rancho Santiago Community College District Trustee David Crockett
- Anaheim City Councilmember Dr. Jose F. Moreno
- Anaheim City Councilmember Avelino Valencia
- Anaheim Union High School District President Al Jabbar
- Anaheim Elementary School District President Juan Alvarez
- Anaheim Elementary School District Trustee Paolo Magcalas
- Anaheim Elementary School District Trustee Ryan Ruelas
- Garden Grove Unified School District Trustee Walter Muneton
- Ocean View School District President Gina Clayton Tarvin