Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, March 10, 2022:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 69. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 44. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph becoming light and variable after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are expected to rise into the upper 70s and remain there until at least the middle of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1656 In the colony of Virginia, suffrage is extended to all free men regardless of their religion.
- 1776 “Common Sense” by Thomas Paine is published.
- 1785 Thomas Jefferson is appointed minister to France.
- 1845 Birth of Hallie Quinn Brown, American educator, women’s rights leader.
- 1848 The treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo is signed which ends the United States’ war with Mexico.
- 1876 Alexander Graham Bell makes the first telephone call to Thomas Watson saying “Watson, come here. I need you.”
- 1893 New Mexico State University cancels its first graduation ceremony, because the only graduate was robbed and killed the night before.
- 1924 The U.S. Supreme Court upholds a New York state law forbidding late-night work for women.
- 1933 Nevada becomes the first U.S. state to regulate drugs.
- 1945 American B-29 bombers attack Tokyo, killing 100,000.
- 1948 Author Zelda Fitzgerald (wife of F. Scott) dies in a fire at Highland Hospital.
- 1953 North Korean gunners at Wonsan fire on the USS Missouri, the ship responds by firing 998 rounds at the enemy position.
- 1954 President Dwight Eisenhower calls Senator Joseph McCarthy a peril to the Republican Party.
- 1966 The North Vietnamese capture a Green Beret camp at Ashau Valley.
- 1969 James Earl Ray pleads guilty to the murder of Dr. Martin Luther King and is sentenced to 99 years in jail.
- 1971 The Senate approves a Constitutional amendment to lower the voting age to 18.
- 1982 The United States bans Libyan oil imports, because of the continued support of terrorism.