Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, March 24, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 83. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 56. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to gradually drop, reaching the low 70s by the end of the coming weekend and a chance of rain early in the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1663 Charles II of England awards land known as Carolina in North America to eight members of the nobility who assisted in his restoration.
- 1664 In London, Roger Williams is granted a charter to colonize Rhode Island.
- 1755 Birth of Rufus King, framer of the U.S. Constitution.
- 1765 Britain passes the Quartering Act, requiring the colonies to house 10,000 British troops in public and private buildings.
- 1855 Birth of Andrew Mellon, U.S. financier and philanthropist.
- 1862 Abolitionist Wendell Phillips speaks to a crowd about emancipation in Cincinnati, Ohio and is pelted by eggs.
- 1874 Birth of Harry Houdini, magician, escape artist.
- 1893 Birth of George Sisler, baseball player.
- 1895 Birth of Arthur Murray, American dancer who founded dance schools.
- 1902 Birth of Thomas E. Dewey, New York governor.
- 1900 Mayor Van Wyck of New York breaks ground for the New York subway tunnel that will link Manhattan and Brooklyn.
- 1938 The United States asks that all powers help refugees fleeing from the Nazis.
- 1947 Congress proposes limiting the United States presidency to two terms.
- 1951 General Douglas MacArthur threatens the Chinese with an extension of the Korean War if the proposed truce is not accepted.
- 1958 Elvis Presley trades in his guitar for a rifle and Army fatigues.
- 1965 The Freedom Marchers, citizens for civil rights, reach Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1989 The Exxon Valdez oil tanker spills 240,000 barrels of oil in Alaska’s Prince William Sound.