Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, April 3, 2022:
Patchy drizzle before 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 68. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54. West wind around 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Highs are forecast to remain fairly steady until the new week week, which is expected to see a sharp rise, reaching the mid-80s by the middle of the week and peaking in the mid 90s on Thursday before dropping very sharply Saturday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1783 Birth of Washington Irving, American writer (The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Rip Van Winkle).
- 1822 Birth of Edward Everett Hale, American clergyman and author (Man without a Country).
- 1823 Birth of William Macy “Boss” Tweed, New York City political boss.
- 1860 The Pony Express connects St. Joseph, Missouri and Sacramento, California.
- 1862 Slavery is abolished in Washington, D.C.
- 1865 Union forces occupy the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia.
- 1882 The American outlaw Jesse James is shot in the back and killed by his cousin, Bob Ford.
- 1888 Birth of Gertrude Bridget “Ma” Rainey, American singer, “the mother of the blues.”
- 1910 Alaska’s Mount McKinley, the highest mountain in North America is climbed.
- 1920 F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre are married at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City.
- 1936 Bruno Hauptmann, killer of the Lindbergh baby, is executed.
- 1942 The Japanese begin their all-out assault on the U.S. and Filipino troops at Bataan.
- 1944 The U.S. Supreme Court rules that black citizens are eligible to vote in all elections, including primaries.
- 1948 President Harry Truman signs Marshall Plan. It will revive war-torn Europe.
- 1972 Charlie Chaplin returns to the United States after a twenty-year absence.
- 1984 Coach John Thompson of Georgetown University becomes the first African-American coach to win an NCAA basketball tournament.