Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, April 10, 2022:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 73. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 56. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are expected to remain in the low to mid-70s for the next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1790 The U.S. patent system is established.
- 1794 Birth of Matthew C. Perry, American naval officer, opened Japan to trade with the west.
- 1827 Birth of Lew Wallace, Civil War general, lawyer, diplomat and author of Ben Hur.
- 1862 Union forces begin the bombardment of Fort Pulaski in Georgia along the Tybee River.
- 1865 At Appomattox Court, Va, General Robert E. Lee issues his last orders to the Army of Northern Virginia.
- 1866 The American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is formed.
- 1880 Birth of Frances Perkins, U.S. labor secretary, first female cabinet member.
- 1903 Birth of Clare Boothe Luce, reporter, U.S. ambassador to the Vatican.
- 1912 The Titanic begins her maiden voyage which will end in disaster.
- 1917 Birth of Robert B. Woodward, synthetic chemist.
- 1925 F. Scott Fitzgerald publishes The Great Gatsby.
- 1930 The first synthetic rubber is produced.
- 1941 U.S. troops occupy Greenland to prevent Nazi infiltration.
- 1947 Jackie Robinson becomes the first black to play major league baseball as he takes the field for the Brooklyn Dodgers.
- 1971 The American table tennis team arrives in China.