Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, April 12, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 71. Northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 50. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming north 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Highs are expected to remain in the low to mid-70s until early next week, which will see a rise into the 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1770 Parliament repeals the Townsend Acts.
- 1777 Birth of Henry Clay, the “Great Compromiser”, American politician and statesman who ran unsuccessfully for president three times.
- 1782 The British navy wins a major naval engagement against the colonists in the American Revolution at the Battle of Saints, off Dominica.
- 1811 The first colonists arrive at Cape Disappointment, Washington.
- 1838 Birth of John Shaw Billings, American librarian, army physician.
- 1861 Fort Sumter is shelled by the Confederacy, starting America’s Civil War.
- 1864 Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest captures Fort Pillow, in Tennessee.
- 1877 The first catcher’s mask is used in a baseball game.
- 1916 American cavalrymen and Mexican bandit troops clash at Parral, Mexico.
- 1944 The U.S. Twentieth Air Force is activated to begin the strategic bombing of Japan.
- 1945 President Franklin D. Roosevelt dies at Warm Spring, Georgia. Harry S. Truman becomes president.
- 1955 Dr. Jonas Salk’s discovery of a polio vaccine is announced.
- 1963 Police use dogs and cattle prods on peaceful civil rights demonstrators in Birmingham, Alabama.
- 1966 Emmett Ashford becomes the first African-American major league umpire.
- 1983 Harold Washington is elected the first black mayor of Chicago.