Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, April 17, 2022:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 72. Light south wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 54. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
Highs are expected to remain in the low to mid-70s through the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1524 Present-day New York Harbor is discovered by Giovanni da Verrazzano.
- 1741 Birth of Samuel Chase, signer of the Declaration of Independence
- 1758 Frances Williams, the first African-American to graduate from a college in the western hemisphere, publishes a collection of Latin poems.
- 1808 Bayonne Decree by Napoleon Bonaparte of France orders seizure of U.S. ships.
- 1820 Birth of Alexander Cartwright, sportsman, developed baseball.
- 1824 Russia abandons all North American claims south of 54′ 40′.
- 1861 Virginia becomes the eighth state to secede from the Union.
- 1864 General Ulysses Grant bans the trading of prisoners.
- 1865 Mary Surratt is arrested as a conspirator in the Lincoln assassination.
- 1929 Baseball player Babe Ruth and Claire Hodgson, a former member of the Ziegfeld Follies, get married.
- 1947 Jackie Robinson bunts for his first major league hit.
- 1969 Sirhan Sirhan is convicted of assassinating Senator Robert F. Kennedy.
- 1970 Apollo 13–originally scheduled to land on the moon–lands back safely on Earth after an accident.