Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, April 23, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 75. Light and variable wind becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 55. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are expected to rise, peaking in the upper 80s on Monday before dropping again to the mid-70s by midweek.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1789 President George Washington moves into Franklin House, New York.
- 1791 Birth of James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States (1857-1861).
- 1813 Birth of Stephen A. Douglas, American politician.
- 1856 Free Stater J.N. Mace in Westport, Kansas shoots pro-slavery sheriff Samuel Jones in the back.
- 1865 Union cavalry units continue to skirmish with Confederate forces in Henderson, North Carolina and Munford’s Station, Alabama.
- 1896 Motion pictures premiere in New York City.
- 1914 The Federals defeat Kansas City 9-1 in the first major league game to be played in Chicago’s Weeghman Park, later renamed Wrigley Field.
- 1915 The ACA becomes the National Advisory Council on Aeronautics (NACA), the forerunner of NASA.
- 1924 The U.S. Senate passes the Soldiers’ Bonus Bill.
- 1926 Birth of Virgil I. “Gus” Grissom, Mercury and Gemini astronaut, died in an accident on Apollo 1.
- 1928 Birth of Shirley Temple Black, child actress, later U.S. ambassador.
- 1954 The Army-McCarthy hearings begin.
- 1966 President Lyndon Johnson publicly appeals for more nations to come to the aid of South Vietnam.
- 1969 Sirhan Sirhan is sentenced to death for killing Senator Robert Kennedy.