Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, April 27, 2022:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 55. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1773 British Parliament passes the Tea Act.
- 1791 Birth of Samuel F.B. Morse, inventor of the telegraph and the code.
- 1813 American forces capture York (present-day Toronto), the seat of government in Ontario.
- 1822 Birth of Ulysses S. Grant, Union general during the American Civil War, 18th President of the United States (1869-1877).
- 1861 West Virginia secedes from Virginia after Virginia secedes from the Union.
- 1861 President Abraham Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus.
- 1863 The Army of the Potomac begins marching on Chancellorsville.
- 1865 The Sultana, a steam-powered riverboat, catches fire and burns after one of its boilers explodes. At least 1,238 of the 2,031 passengers–mostly former Union POWs–are killed.
- 1927 Birth of Coretta Scott King, civil rights activist, wife of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.