Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, May 1, 2022:
Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 72. Light southeast wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 56. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1805 The state of Virginia passes a law requiring all freed slaves to leave the state, or risk either imprisonment or deportation.
- 1863 The Battle of Chancellorsville begins as Union General Joe Hooker starts his three-pronged attack against Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
- 1867 Reconstruction in the South begins with black voter registration.
- 1877 President Rutherford B. Hayes withdraws all Federal troops from the South, ending Reconstruction.
- 1896 Birth of Mark Clark, U.S. Army general during World War II.
- 1898 The U.S. Navy under Commodore George Dewey defeats the Spanish fleet at the Battle of Manila Bay in the Philippines.
- 1909 Birth of Kate Smith, singer famous for her rendition of “God Bless America.”
- 1915 The British luxury liner Lusitania leaves New York Harbor for a voyage to Europe. A week later it would be torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat.
- 1916 Birth of Glenn Ford, actor (The Blackboard Jungle, 1955).
- 1923 Birth of Joseph Heller, American author best known for Catch-22, originally published in 1961.
- 1931 The Empire State Building opens in New York.
- 1934 The Philippine legislature accepts a U.S. proposal for independence.
- 1937 President Franklin Roosevelt signs an act of neutrality, keeping the United States out of World War II.
- 1950 Gwendolyn Brooks becomes the first African American to win the Pulitzer Prize for her book of poetry called Annie Allen.
- 1960 Francis Gary Powers’ U-2 spy plane is shot down over Russia.
- 1968 In the second day of battle, U.S. Marines, with the support of naval fire, continue their attack on a North Vietnamese Division at Dai Do.
- 1970 Students from Kent State University riot in downtown Kent, Ohio, in protest of the American invasion of Cambodia.
- 2011 Osama Bin Laden is killed in Abbottabad Pakistan by US Navy SEALS in Operation Neptune Spear.