Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, May 6, 2022:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 78. Light southeast wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 59. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain fairly level until the end of the week, followed by a drop into the lower 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1740 Birth of John Penn, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1856 U.S. Army troops from Fort Tejon and Fort Miller prepare to ride out to protect Keyesville, California, from Yokut Indian attack.
- 1861 Arkansas becomes the ninth state to secede from the Union.
- 1862 Henry David Thoreau dies of tuberculosis at age 44.
- 1864 In the second day of the Battle of the Wilderness between Union General Ulysses S. Grant and Confederate General Robert E. Lee, Confederate Gen. James Longstreet is wounded by his own men.
- 1877 Chief Crazy Horse surrenders to U.S. troops in Nebraska. Crazy Horse brought General George Custer to his end.
- 1915 Birth of Orson Welles, actor, director, and writer (Citizen Kane).
- 1937 The dirigible Hindenburg explodes in flames at Lakehurst, New Jersey.
- 1941 Bob Hope gives his first USO show at California’s March Field.
- 1942 General Jonathan Wainwright surrenders Corregidor to the Japanese.
- 1960 President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs the Civil Rights Act of 1960.
- 1962 The first nuclear warhead is fired from a Polaris submarine.