Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, May 7, 2022:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 58. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast in the evening.
Highs are expected to drop into the lower 70s for the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1763 Indian chief Pontiac begins his attack on a British fort in present-day Detroit, Michigan.
- 1800 Congress divides the Northwest Territory into two parts. The western part will becomes the Indiana Territory and the eastern section remains the Northwest Territory.
- 1847 The American Medical Association is formed in Philadelphia.
- 1862 Confederate troops strike Union troops at the Battle of Eltham’s Landing in Virginia.
- 1864 The Battle of the Wilderness ends with heavy losses to both sides.
- 1870 Birth of Marcus Loew, film executive, consolidated studios to create MGM.
- 1877 Indian chief Sitting Bull enters Canada with a trail of Indians after the Battle of Little Bighorn.
- 1892 Birth of Archibald MacLeish, American poet and statesman.
- 1901 Birth of Gary Cooper, film actor (High Noon, Friendly Persuasion).
- 1915 The German submarine U-20 torpedoes the passenger ship Lusitiania, sinking her in 21 minutes with 1,978 people on board.
- 1942 In the Battle of the Coral Sea, Japanese and American navies attack each other with carrier-launched warplanes. It is the first time in the history of naval warfare where two fleets fought without seeing each other. Two crucial battles in 1942 marked the turning point of the war in the Pacific.
- 1942 marked the turning point of the war in the Pacific.
- 1958 Howard Johnson sets an aircraft altitude record in F-104.