Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, May 9, 2022:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 71. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 53. West wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the lower 70s until midweek, after which temperatures are expected to rise fairly sharply, peaking in the low 90s on Saturday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1754 The first newspaper cartoon in America appears.
- 1800 Birth of John Brown, abolitionist.
- 1813 U.S. troops under William Henry Harrison take Fort Meigs from British and Canadian troops.
- 1844 Birth of Belle Boyd, Confederate spy.
- 1864 Union General John Sedgwick is shot and killed by a Confederate sharpshooter during fighting at Spotsylvania. His last words are: “They couldn’t hit an elephant at this dist–“
- 1921 Birth of Mona van Duyn, American poet laureate.
- 1962 A laser beam is successfully bounced off the moon for the first time.
- 1974 The House Judiciary Committee begins formal hearings on Nixon impeachment.