Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, May 10, 2022:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 49. West wind 10 to 15 mph becoming southeast 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the lower 70s until midweek, after which temperatures are expected to rise fairly sharply, peaking in the low 90s on Saturday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1676 Bacon’s Rebellion begins in the New World.
- 1730 Birth of George Ross, signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1773 To keep the troubled East India Company afloat, Parliament passes the Tea Act, taxing all tea in the American colonies.
- 1775 American troops capture Fort Ticonderoga from the British.
- 1838 Birth of John Wilkes Booth, actor, assassin of President Abraham Lincoln.
- 1840 Mormon leader Joseph Smith moves his band of followers to Illinois to escape the hostilities they experienced in Missouri.
- 1863 General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson succumbs to illness and wounds received during the Battle of Chancellorsville.
- 1865 Union cavalry troops capture Confederate President Jefferson Davis near Irvinville, Georgia.
- 1869 The Central Pacific and Union Pacific railroads meet in Promontory, Utah.
- 1872 Victoria Woodhull becomes first the woman nominated for U.S. president.
- 1899 Birth of Fred Astaire (Frederick Austerlitz), American dancer and actor.
- 1908 Birth of Carl Albert, U.S. politician.
- 1924 J. Edgar Hoover is appointed head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- 1928 WGY-TV in Schenectady, New York, begins regular television programming.
- 1960 The USS Nautilus completes the first circumnavigation of the globe underwater.