Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, May 17, 2022:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 57. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the 70s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1792 Merchants form the New York Stock Exchange at 70 Wall Street.
- 1863 Union General Ulysses Grant continues his push towards Vicksburg at the Battle of the Big Black River Bridge.
- 1875 The first Kentucky Derby is run in Louisville.
- 1881 Frederick Douglass is appointed recorder of deeds for Washington, D.C.
- 1912 Birth of Archibald Cox, special prosecutor in the Watergate hearings, fired by President Richard Nixon.
- 1954 The U.S. Supreme Court unanimously rules for school integration in Brown v. Board of Education.
- 1973 The Senate Watergate Committee begins its hearings.
- 1987 In the Persian Gulf, the American guided missile frigate USS Stark is struck by 2 Exocet missiles fired by an Iraqi aircraft; only one detonates, but 37 sailors are killed and 21 are wounded. Whether the launch was deliberate or a mistake is still debated.