Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, May 20, 2022:
Patchy drizzle before 11am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 70. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Patchy drizzle after 11pm. Increasing clouds, with a low around 59. South wind around 5 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the low 70s until the middle of next week, which will see a rise into the upper 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1750 Birth of Stephen Girard, American financier and philanthropist.
- 1768 Birth of Dolley Madison, first lady of President James Madison.
- 1774 Parliament passes the Coercive Acts to punish the colonists for their increasingly anti-British behavior. The acts close the port of Boston.
- 1775 North Carolina becomes the first colony to declare its independence.
- 1818 Birth of William George Fargo, one of the founders of Wells, Fargo & Co.
- 1861 North Carolina becomes the last state to secede from the Union.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln signs the Homestead Act, providing 250 million acres of free land to settlers in the West.
- 1874 Levi Strauss begins marketing blue jeans with copper rivets.
- 1902 The U.S. military occupation of Cuba ends.
- 1908 Birth of Jimmy Stewart, actor (It’s a Wonderful Life, Mr Smith Goes to Washington).
- 1927 Charles Lindbergh takes off from New York for Paris.
- 1930 The first airplane is catapulted from a dirigible.
- 1932 Amelia Earhart lands near Londonderry, Ireland, to become the first woman fly solo across the Atlantic.
- 1939 Pan American Airways starts the first regular passenger service across the Atlantic.
- 1951 During the Korean War, U.S. Air Force Captain James Jabara becomes the first jet air ace in history.
- 1961 A white mob attacks civil rights activists in Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1969 In South Vietnam, troops of the 101st Airborne Division reach the top of Hill 937 after nine days of fighting entrenched North Vietnamese forces.
- 1970 100,000 people march in New York, supporting U.S. policies in Vietnam.